(new?) pop ups

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 11:51:03AM -0400, Brendan wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 October 2005 06:32 pm, David Hummel wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 06:26:54PM -0400, D Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> > > quick question for you gurus, there's these flash looking pops up /
> > 8><
> > > and is there anyway to block them?
> >
> >   http://www.privoxy.org/
>
> Not everyone wants to run a proxy server...They can get quite unwieldy.

If you want to filter flash and other stuff, I don't know of a better
solution.

Privoxy does run as a daemon, but the default configuration is to listen
only to the localhost, and this is in fact the typical usage.  So it's
not like Squid and other caching proxies which are meant to be used by
multiple hosts on a LAN.

If you've used Privoxy, what exactly do you find unwieldy about it?
I've found the configuration to be rather painless and quite flexible.

-David