Who knows the GPL well?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Greg Rundlett <greg.rundlett at gmail.com>
Date: Oct 11, 2005 1:31 PM
Subject: Re: Who knows the GPL well?
To: "Grant M." <gmongardi at napc.com>

On 10/11/05, Grant M. <gmongardi at napc.com> wrote:
> Greg Rundlett wrote:
> > If you can find out who has a copy of the program (users/'customers'),
> > then you can ask them to kindly take advantage of their right to share
> > the source code.
>
> Alternatively, you could buy the software, and then resell it with
> source at a 1/10 the price that they are selling it for. If you sell it
> to ten people you've made your money back. It appears the GPL allows this:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLRequireAvailabilityToPublic

(sent my reply only to Grant by accident)

Right.  Another reason why it is folly to base a business on selling
GPL software at a high price.  Every customer/user has the right to
redistribute at whatever price they choose.

Of course 'high' is relative.  If the software is targeted at
end-users, then $50 is maybe high.  If the software is targeted at
enterprise, then $10,000 could be considered relatively cheap.

OP:  What PHP software are you talking about?