File systems performance

I was in Houston for an HP/Intel Developer forum and was asked about file
system performance. This was from a guy at a company who has a database
product, and is interested in performance and not journaling. My top of the
head answer was that ext2 would probably be the best because it does not
have the journaling overhead, but I later checked some benchmarks, and
found that ext2 did not always give the best performance.  My advice to him
was to run their own benchmarks since they were more familiar with their
product and the data metrics. What I'm looking for here is possibly some
data you might have accumulated.

(BTW: a number of the benchmarks show ext3 reasonably slow in comparison to
JFS, ReiserFS, and XFS).
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group