Energy-hogging Linux, what to do?

dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:

> I have a Netwinder -- a 266MHz ARM CPU that runs Linux.
> Perfectly usable as an X terminal or a router, with two ethernet
> ports and a serial port. It draws less than 15 watts.
>
> There are other ARM-powered boxes around, some of much higher
> performance, and none of much greater power draw. The Linksys
> NSLU2 has been mentioned frequently...

The VIA processors (C3, etc.) are also very low power CPUs. (Not quite
as low power as ARM, but still very good.) It is certainly possible to
build a low-power computer around one of those.

Using laptops is another way of reducing power consumption. Older ones
can be pressed into service as servers; they'll work well, though
they're not likely to be cost-effective compared to desktop boxes.

> I suspect the big power draw on my machines is the CRT attached
> to most of them. But it doesn't make sense -- yet -- to replace
> existing 17" 1600x1200 CRTs with 17" 1280x1024 LCDs at $300
> apiece in order to save $50 of electricity a year...

Nope; not economic sense, at any rate. Keeping the CRTs turned off when
you're not using them, naturally, is a big savings!