Energy-hogging Linux, what to do?

I was wanting to fight this battle years ago.  But it came down to the
manufacturers don't make it because consumers and businesses don't demaind
it.  Most data centers look like a dead short across the power grid, and the
electric companies love it.  On big gear you can consume an deasy 2 to 5 KW
in each rack, a small data center with 100 racks or so, then you have to cool
it year round, consuming another 10% or the electricity.  But most companies
are willing to pay for performance and bleading edge.

Right now for data centers, server consolidation (reducing the number of
boxes) can save more power than just about anything else.  Also using NAS or
SAN for servers/applications that don't need huge amounts of space.

In one data center we went an looked up on the vendor web site (IBM in this
case) power requirements for all the equipment in the data center.  Generated
a power diagram of the center and figured out what circuits you are
overheating.

For home use, consider purchasing old laptops with near dead batteries that
will run off of AC or DC.  If you can get enough that will run off of DC,
modify a SINGLE nice sized UPS to provide DC instead of AC (or get a
commercial one if you can at a good price) and run your stuff there.  If you
have a lot to run, think of using something like VMWare so you can keep down
the number of different boxes you must run.

If you roll your own boxes, look into the CPU/Memory/Motherboard/peripheral
power requirements for 'running' and 'standby' mode.  You can cut power by
selecting the right equipment.

To do a quick energy audit of your own, go snag a clip on amp meter with a
computer interface (Radio Shack make the one I have, there are probably real
commercial ones out there too).  Clip it around the hot leg of your 110VAC
circuit and check the power consumption to find out what your stuff REALLY
uses.  If you use it with a laptop you can leave with it for a while, it will
give nice usage graphs.

Some years ago my wife and I got rabid enough about this we monitored
our 'base' consumption in the house .. we turned off all the lights and
normal stuff, went away for the weekend, and read the power meter just before
we drove off, and when we got back, and calculated the number of hours to
give us our base KWH consumption.  It is higher than you might think.  (GFI
brakers consume about 3W, TVs turned off consume, Radios, cable modem,
freezer, refrigerator, the fridge in the garage, security lights, night
lights, baby monitors, portable telephones (bases and remote chargers),
battery chargers for tools, vacume cleaners, telephone answering machines,
etc.).  Then we checked it again with various appliances on after a period of
use (typically an hour or so, but calculating down to the minute reading the
house power meter each time).

We determined that it cost about $.50 to run a load of clothes through the
dryer, $.10 to bake a loaf of bread, ... you get the idea.  And yes, after
all this we too noticed added cost of having computers on full time.  It is
better for many computers to be on full time, convenience is better, but the
cost is pretty high.

Back to your issue, do consider using old laptops as servers.  If you roll
your own VERY LOW POWER server, post the plans and it will benefit us
all. :)   If you really need a web server and have cable or DSL, consider
getting a hosted site and use it.  For us, we reduced our power usage and
reduced the average noise level in my computer room when I started hosting
our domain at a hosting company.   I started it after a disk drive died and I
was frustrated at doing hardware maintenance, so for us, it was a win-win
(especilly since a friend was starting an ISP locally, so support was really
great ... he since sold the ISP, so I am about to move my site elsewhere).