External Monitor on laptop

> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:37:30 -0400
> jbk <jbk at mail2.gis.net> wrote:
>

>>Fedora core 4, 2.6.13 kernel

I have been fiddling around with my configuration both grub
and the GUI Xconfig that comes with gnome.

The components:
Monitor: KDS XF70  a 17" flat screen
Card:    ATI Mach64

Toshiba laptop with 800x600 lcd

Problem #1

The grub boot splash image panics the kernel when the
external monitor is connected.

I commented this and hiddmenu out in grub. This allows me to
  boot but none of the grub options or menu are displayed.

After booting and logging in at the default 800x600
resolution I have to edit the xconfig with the gnome
utility. The monitor is recognized as a KDS and I select the
  XF70 option. I logout and in again and then I can set a
higher resolution with another gnome utility.

Problem #2

I now have an xorg.conf that is not compatible with the
default monitor. So I have to maually restore the orginal
configuration.

So, does anyone have ideas on making this a more plug and
play process?

Jim