API or utility to generate PRN files?

never heard of a .prn. I take it to mean that you're trying to generate
the postscript printing output from an excel spreadsheet as if Excel
itself had expelled the document? To make life easier on yourself, you
might try buying this off-the-shelf if money isn't a factor. I'm sure
somebody has done this before.

Why does it have to be Java or Perl? I have no idea what language Gnumeric
or OpenOffice are written in, but poking around those projects might
reveal a library you could link with your code.

--
David Backeberg (dave at math.mit.edu)