Human networking

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Hello to all:
>
> Through my job searching, I've found various interesting positions to
> which I have applied, and fielded a few questions from list members along
> the way.

> I propose a networking email list to bring everyone together in one
> central place.  I know about Linked In, Monster's networking, and other
> similar web sites, but they seem to cater to the country, if not the
> world, can cost money, and are just too generic.  I'm looking to bring
> together the IT talent that exists for the Metro Boston/Eastern
> Massachusetts area, and help people connect.
>
> An argument can be made that user groups are made for this, but there are
> some who cannot make it to such meetings, and user groups can tend to
> attract only those people interested in the niche of that group, and many
> IT people simply are not good with human interaction/networking, and feel
> more comfortable behind a keyboard.
>

> Some areas I feel such a central list would help are to:
>
> - gain an inside connection with an organization
> - gain a feel for an organization's environment when applying for or
>   interviewing at said organization
> - assist people in transition from one professional area to another or one
>   aspect of life to another
>
> and many other ideas...
>

> To help kick-start this idea, I have created a group called
>
> 		boston-area-it at yahoogroups.com
>
> I welcome everyone to join, introduce yourselfs, and let's all start to
> meet who-is-who.   Pizza, beer, and soda are on the way ;-)

First of all, I could not find that yahoogroup.  Are you sure you have the
name right?

Second, the problem with your plan is that such groups already exist.
Having more groups like this is worse, because it spreads the knowledge and
skills too thinly.  It defeats the purpose of such groups.

I (and a few other BLU members) are active members and volunteers for
http://www.windnetworking.net.  They even have several IT-related subgroups.

There's also http://www.careerplacejobs.com, which I was active in for a while.

And http://www.jvs-boston.org/ has great free and cheap training.  They are
called Jewish Vocational Service, but you don't have to be Jewish to join.

Good luck on your job search.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  You can't outrun Death forever.
DK KD
DDDD   But you can make the bastard work for it.