Human networking

On 10/28/05, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 October 2005 7:46 pm, David Kramer wrote:
>
> > They get around that by not being just a networking event.  WIND has
> > classes. seminars. presentations, some for free and some for pay.  The
> > program also regularly does things like resume reviews (where people
> > break off into groups, and take turns helping each other on their
> > resumes), working on elevator speeches, discussions on ways to find
> > unpublished jobs, networking tips, how to sell yourself...  All of the
> > groups I mentioned are like that.
> I think WIND is a pretty decent group. I found that I got more out of the
> guerilla groups than the main meeting.
>
> The problem with networking groups in general is that they tend to attract
> those people who are more longer term unemployed. They tend to become more
> social clubs than networking to find employment. WIND is good because it
> has a professional leader who maintains a focus.
>
> Back at the BCS in the early 90s we had a group called TOPS, The
> Organization for Professionals. The guy who was the group leader for TOPS
> at that time is a regular at WIND.
>
> Note that going to meetings like BLU or other professional user groups can
> also help with a job search in that you can get some contacts you might not
> find at a WIND or 495 Networking.
> --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>

I found the WIND meetings good for training/refreshers at the basic
job hunting skills.  But the real work has to be done outside the
meeting.  You certainly need to be involved in more things than just
WIND if you have a hope to use netwworking effectively to find a job.
While I'm sure some folks hook good leads from the meetings, there
aren't that many there.  Best to find places where people who are
working in your field hang out for whatever reason and network there.