Energy-hogging Linux, what to do?

Rich Braun wrote:

>Call it the Katrina effect:  news headlines about higher natural gas prices
>coming to your NSTAR bill soon led me to wonder why my electric bills are *SO*
>high even with all those compact-fluorescent bulbs installed everywhere.  I
>dug out five years of bills, entered my meter readings into a spreadsheet, and
>concluded that a 40% jump in household consumption in the fall of 2003
>coincided with the addition of a handful of computer components.
>
>Even at current prices, it looks like my Linux energy bill tops $500 per year,
>out of the $2000 in electric bills.  (I will find out soon, have mail-ordered
>a couple of Kill-a-Watt consumption meters to plug my systems and appliances
>into.)  Lord knows what next year's bill will be, if natural gas prices remain
>2x what they were pre-Katrina.

Another idea in addition to reducing consumption is to look at some of
the new solar technology available.  There are new solar tiles that
integrate with your existing roof tiles (for aesthetics) and connect to
a DC->AC invertor in your house.  The average installation for a 12x30ft
grid costs about $25k after rebates which over 30 years at 7% is about
$15/month.  Such system should generate about 5,000 kWh/year.  Your
system is still connected to the grid so if you need power and there's
no sun, it comes from the electric company.  Moreoever, you'll generate
more in the summer than winter which is automatically sold back to the
electric company.  i.e.  your meter runs backwards.  There is no sales
tax or property tax on the system.  If you also put in some batteries,
you effectively have a whole house UPS.

Solar estimate calculator
http://www.ebike.net/solar/index.php?page=rightforme