Verizon rant

This is kind of a followup:
I spoke to my friend last night and he told me that he actually spoke to the
President of Verizon's secretary, and they finally fixed his phone.
Note that he was about 4 or 5 days without phone service, then when they
fixed that, the phone did not ring. In any case, now that his phone works,
he clicked through the Comcast refer-a-friend and signed up for Comcast
Internet and probably phone service.

WRT: Comcast phone,
I have Comcast Digital Phone service that is Not VOIP. Comcast ran wires
from the pole to the phone junction on the outside of my house a couple of
years ago.
Another friend of mine just moved into a condo in JABRville (eg. North
Attleboro). He got Comcast Internet and phone service. The phone jack plugs
into his cable modem and into the wall jack to enable his phones. This is
their VOIP service. I went to install a wireless router and somehow I
caused some problems when I temporarily swapped cable modems. In any case I
was on the cellphone with Comcast. We connected to the service tech after
about a 1 minute wait. He was very helpful, and elevated the call while I
was on the phone with him. (The problem was that the only web site we could
get to was the "Welcome to Comcast".  They had to reset the cable modem
from their end since a reboot and reset from our end did not fix the
problem. (I used my cell because unplugging the cable modem would have
disconnected us. So far his VOIP system seems to be working fine. The cable
modem comes with 2 battery slots, but in his case, no batteries.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group