Switching motherboard: troubleshooting?

Just a guess, but I've often found that drives are detected as
different partitions on different motherboards, based on the drive's
controller, and even when you boot from the install disk vs the
harddrive.

Make sure you harddrive installation has the right driver modules
being loaded, and check if somehow the drive is being found on a SCSI
or LVM device or something like that.