Switching motherboard: troubleshooting?

Followup, some of the early responses seemed to address a different problem.
Just to be clear, here is my partition layout:

/dev/hda1  - /boot
/dev/hda2  - swap
/dev/hda3  - md0 RAID
/dev/hdc1  - (old windoze)
/dev/hdc2  - md0 RAID

Within device md0, I have system-volroot and four other volumes set up with lvm.

When I boot into the rescue mode, these partition entries match up with the
ones created on the newer motherboard, and I can mount them manually.

To reiterate:  when I boot off the hard drive, I get a kernel that fails to
probe the IDE controller, period.  It gets me into a shell that has enough
commands to take a look at /proc and /dev but not much else.  (Note that /dev
-- constructed by kernel at bootup -- does not contain entries for the hard
drives.)

One thing I'd like to figure out is whether it's possible to, once I have
booted into rescue mode, switch from the ramdisk root to the hard drive's root
(and then do an 'init 5' to get the full system up).  In the past the only way
I've been able to switch root filesystems is to reboot with a different grub
config.

One other question I have is grub's concept of the CD's device name.  Grub
uses names like hd(0,0) instead of /dev/hda1.

Thanks!

-rich