laptop recommendations

On Wednesday 02 November 2005 3:19 pm, David Hummel wrote:
> You basically have to obtain detailed tech specs (chipsets, etc.) and
> determine if a particular model has the kind of support you need for
> each component. ?For instance, if wireless is your thing, then you
> probably want a machine that has an Intel 2200 or 2915 adapter, etc.
The bottom line is to do your research before you buy. All laptop
manufacturers use proprietary chips in their systems. Most will run Linux,
but some components will not work.

One reason I say that both HP and IBM have made a commitment to Lnux is that
more than lip service, they spend big bucks, and they have employees that
contribute code to the Linux kernel. IBM has effectively contributed some
really good things, such as JFS, NUMA, and SMP. And I can tell you that
there are a large number of people (myself included) who earn their pay
100% from Linux.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group