FLoppy boot for Ubuntu live CD

On 11/2/05, Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:
> Thanks for reading this.
>
> I've just burned a copy of the Ubuntu live CD, but the machine I want to
> run it on isn't equipped for booting from CD. Please tell me how to boot
> the Ubuntu live CD from floppy: I can't find any reference in the docs.

Sorry if this is basic advice that you're already aware of...

When you say "isn't equipped for booting from CD", I understand that
you mean the system doesn't have a CD-ROM drive, or that the BIOS
doesn't support this option.  I also take it that you've attempted to
configure the BIOS to boot from CD-ROM if a drive is present.

If you haven't already done so, you can check which devices the BIOS
will allow you to boot from, and select the order such that CD-ROM is
enabled and listed ahead of hard-disk:

boot the machine
hit the 'delete' key as it goes through the initial boot process to
enter 'setup' (look for message on screen as to which key to hit, it
might be F2 or similar)
follow instructions for navigating the BIOS menu, looking for boot
device and order
enable CD-ROM, and list it ahead of Fixed Disk/Hard Drive