OpenVPN and DNS

John Abreau wrote:
> When I got home last night, I power-cycled the machine I was using as
> the test client for OpenVPN. After rebooting, I tested the DNS again,
> this time with tcpdump watching on the server end, and DNS was working.
>
> I still don't know why it was misbehaving. Hopefully it was just
> something hosed on the client end. But it seems fine now.

It was probably your firewall.  Some (ie Redhat's old Lokkit program)
firewalls make special rules for your DNS servers.  Since you started
your firewall, then changed your DNS server, your local firewall was
probably blocking stuff.  If you were on Redhat:
  /sbin/service iptables restart
after you mucked with your DNS servers may have fixed your problem.

But Fedora's firewall doesn't do this anymore.  What distro + firewall
script generator were you using?

--Matt