Switching motherboard: troubleshooting?

Update on my motherboard woes:  I ultimately wound up waiting for the
mail-order motherboard that I'd ordered last week to arrive, after getting the
same failure of the Suse-10.0 installation on three alternative motherboards I
had in my spare-parts bin.  The symptom (waiting for device /dev/hda2 to
appear) was seen on the following:

- A 6-year-old Asus P2B-L with 550MHz processor
- A 3-year-old PowerSpec (Intel D815EGEW) with 1.3 GHz processor
- A 4-year-old Compaq with 600 MHz processor

I even figured out how to flash the BIOS on the Asus board, to no avail.
Note--the motherboard that I'd originally used to install Suse 10.0 is a
1-year-old Soyo SY-K7VME with 2.0 GHz processor.

The new motherboard is a VIA EPIA ML6000EA Mini-ITX with 600 MHz processor
which is the subject of my current project, creating servers that conserve
electricity.

I plugged the drives into the new board and voila, Linux came up no sweat,
serving my files via Samba.  So far I have one mystery to solve:  sshd gets a
segmentation fault.  I figure I'll build sshd from source.

-rich