Quick C question

Hello,
	I'm trying to some image processing in C and I won't know ahead of
time what the dimensions of the image are.  So I would like to do a
multi-dim array with a pointer so I can malloc the space and hopefully be
good.  The problem is that the compiler doesn't seem to agree with this
strategy. So does anyone have an idea of how to do something like the
attached example with pointers by chance?

#include <stdio.h>

#define	D1	4
#define	D2	2

int main(){

	int *array;

	array = malloc(sizeof(int) * (D1 * D2));

	array[1][1] = 32;

	printf("Elem[1][1] = %d\n",array[1][1]);

	free(array);

	return 0;
}

Thanks,