Quick C question

I'm taking a robotics course and at the end of the day the code needs to
be my own.  I am in fact doing this in Matlab at first and then I'm going
to convert it to C with Mex wrapper.  Since we are on the subject of image
processing does anyone know of any good articles for shape recognition by
chance?

Thanks,
Anthony