LCD panels -- buyer beware

On Saturday, I posted some bad advice about LCD panels:
> ... there is a way to save money now, if you still have any CRT monitors
> in your house:  eBay.  I'm composing this on a 17" Proview panel ...
> hardly anyone bundles the power brick with them.

I've been an eBay user for a few years and have had 100% positive things to
say about the experience until I tried buying LCD panels.  (Imagine going to
Best Buy or Sears and being able to give up/down feedback on every
transaction, and forcing them to respond to you in this way... eBay's method
is really quite different from the bricks & mortar experience!)

*However* the current situation with LCD panels is suddenly feeling a bit
different.  I have won three auctions on these so far, with the intention of
replacing all the CRTs in the house.  There has been a problem with *every*
single one of these transactions.  Either the sellers are sharks or the units
are in poor condition.

There might even be a Katrina effect here:  water-damaged monitors getting
dumped on the market.  I can't really tell what's going on.  There are *many*
units that have "dark areas" or "blotches" from some sort of damage that can't
be a manufacturing defect unless someone has gotten their hands on a huge pile
of manufacturer rejects.  These are getting dumped on eBay and they *will*
drive you nuts looking at them.

I now believe that you're safer going to a local dealer to buy an LCD panel.
You want to see it powered up, for more than a couple minutes, before forking
over your money.

*Buyer beware!*  The 17" panel I'm using is OK but getting the power cord or
owner's manual for it was non-trivial.  I have a 20" panel that won't power up
more than a few seconds, and has dark blotches.  I have a third unit for which
the vendor has so far not told me anything about the power adapter (and I am
*not* paying until he does--the vendor for that other one is giving me a
runaround on this very issue!  Says I should run out and buy a Fellowes model
99426--I'm not kidding, this is *bizarre*!--which is not exactly a
Staples/Radio Shack item.)

If you do order an LCD off eBay, insist on more than just a "DOA warranty".
You MUST have a power brick included and the seller must offer a
no-questions-asked satisfaction guarantee.

Anyone else here run into these problems?  Sorry to unload another tale of woe
here but I'm really having second thoughts about my Saturday posting on this
topic.

-rich