[blu] saving money by moving my mail/Web server out of my basement?

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Seth Gordon wrote:

> For a few years, I've had a Speakeasy account with static IP, so I can
> serve everything ropine.com-related out of machines in my basement.
>
> After going over our household budget, I'm wondering if there's an
> alternative that will still give me broad control over my Web site and
> email (e.g., if I want a certain Apache module installed, I can do it)
> but will cost less than $70/month.  Since basic DSL[*] from Verizon is
> $15/month, that means I'm looking for some kind of hosting that costs
> $50/month or less.

I am a huge fan of ServerPronto. I use them for all of my web hosting.
They have an awesome outlook: "You want a server? You know what you are
doing? Here you go!"

I get a real server, sitting in a rack in Miami for $30/mo. Even better, I
split it with my friend, so it costs me $15/mo. Full root access, and as
far as we can tell, it's a real machine. I currently use it for my
website, but as I will be soon in same situation you are, mail will be
moving to it soon.

The only trouble I've had is when cogent messed their net connection up
for a few hours between 5-9AM one day. As they promise .99999 uptime, they
refunded our payment that month.

I love this service. Fat pipe, 100GB/mo bandwith, and a "do whatever you
want as long as it's not naughty" AUP.

The catch? $99 setup fee. But, IMHO, well worth it.

http://www.serverpronto.com

--
/"\  Ben Jackson
\ /  bbj <at> innismir.net - http://www.innismir.net/