Setting up SMTP AUTH with pine, Earthlink suggests I "contact Linux Support" (OT)

Tom Metro wrote:

>> I don't know why, but this email's title shows up with a subject line
>> that includes a date, displayed roughly like so:
>>
>>                    AUG
>> "... with pine, 18 Earthlink ...", except that the date is only about
>> 1.5 lines high.
>>                    1994
>

> The subject line has an embedded newline.
>
> You can observe this if you view the source. (View | Message Source)
>

>> This only shows up in the subject line when viewed in the Inbox of
>> Thunderbird version 1.0.7 (20050923).
>

> Thunderbird 1.5 on Windows displays it fine, though shows a special
> character at the point where the newline appears.
>

>> When I open the email, the subject line appears normally.
>

> It appears Thunderbird scrubs the line before it displays the
> individual message or copies the data to the reply form.

Tom,

Thanks for writing: I figured that there was _something_ there, but now
I'm more puzzled than ever. Why would Thunderbird display a control
character with a miniature "rubber stamp" version of a date? It's
definitely not a single character I'm seeing: it's a glyph of a date
with the month on top, the day in the middle, and the year on the
bottom, and it occupies about 1.5 vertical lines and about 2 character
widths. If it was a "smiley face" or some other artifiact of the IBM
character set, I'd understand, but how could a single control character
be translated into a specific date?

Bill