Video Server

Cole Tuininga wrote:
> I'm looking to do just a portion of what MythTV does.  Namely, I have
> video that I'd like to push out to my TV (I don't necessarily need to
> record from cable).

I've been wondering about the necessity of a TV tuner. Although of
questionable legality, there seems to be an increasing amount of digital
TV content available on the net. And there are now specialized tools to
help you find it, such as TVTAD (http://www.tvtad.net/), which acts as
"glue" between RSS feeds and a BitTorrent client. It also has a built-in
search engine specifically for finding TV content. (TVTAD is currently
Windows-only, but they're starting on a Linux port.)

What's even more interesting is that the TV networks are starting to get
into online distribution. Several of the new shows this season were
distributed online (temporarily) as a promotional tool. Most people have
probably heard of ABC distributing some of its shows through iTunes
(though not for free). And NBC has announced that one of its
lesser-known cable channels will be converting into an online operation.

Perhaps the TV industry has learned a lesson from watching what happened
in the music industry, and will be a bit quicker to embrace the new
distribution technology. Though if the complaints raised by ABC
affiliates is any indication, I expect it'll be a slow transition.

Even with an abundant number of digital channels, cable (and satellite)
companies are still very much the gatekeepers of what you get to see,
and are a barrier for new channels. I suspect at some point we'll start
to see new channels launched via the net - using either downloads or
streaming - and then later picked up by the cable companies.

I wouldn't be surprised if 5 years from now we were obtaining the
majority of our entertainment programming from the net, and if TiVo
survives, it'll essentially turn into a UI-front-end for playing
downloaded or streamed content.

> What do I need in order to accomplish this?

The December issue of Linux Journal had a decent overview of MythTV:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8562

Unfortunately you need to be a subscriber to see the full article.

> Any specific recommendations on make/model of hardware?
> Also, once I have the hardware set up, how do I output to the TV?

The author of the above article recommended the Hauppauge MediaMVP[1],
which is a set-top-box that connects to your TV and your LAN and
provides a UI for accessing video and audio content stored on a server.
This avoids the need to put a big noisy PC in your living room (or build
an expensive, quiet PC).

Of course the MediaMVP runs Linux and has been hacked, and there is
custom firmware[2] available that provides a front-end specifically for
MythTV.

What's even better, is that the hacked version will also play back
content served from an NFS or Samba file system, so if you have some
video content already, there's no need to install MythTV just to gain
the ability to playback video in your living room.

1. http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_mediamvp.html
2. http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main

Also, a collection of MediaMVP related links:
http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=5805.0

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro