Comcast newsgroups and Thunderbird

Anyone using Thunderbird to access newsgroups.comcast.net?  The NNTP
server keeps asking me to supply a username and password.  It works for
a while and then asks to re-authenticate.  I did specify for Thunderbird
to remember the settings but the problem persists.  I know that Comcast
dropped support for Usenet and went with giganews but then re-instated
access via newsgroups.comcast.net.  Any ideas on how to fix this quite
annoying problem?