802.11g signal strength

On Sunday 18 December 2005 11:13 am, Bob George wrote:
> Also, if there's a specific area that needs coverage, a directional
> (panel) antenna can "point" the signal if desired, although the areas
> behind it may lose out. It's a good solution if the Linksys is going in
> a corner of the desired coverage area.
In both cases where I installed the units, the condo has a living room for
the width of the condo, and a long corridor on the right hand side.
In both cases, there is a kitchen and bathroom adjacent to the living room.
In the first case, my friend bought a Linksys WRT54G-C (the compact one). In
his case, the cable modem is on the far left of the desk area and the
router is not far away because of a rather short cat-5 cable. My initial
solution is to move it to the right closer to the doorway to the corridor.
The remote computer is in the corridor. My friend has not yet moved the
unit, but he is in a position where he has to go out an get a cable because
his new computer arrived, and he wants to keep it and his Mac online.

The other case is similar. The cable modem is in the bedroom, on the side
where the kitchen is. When I tested signal strength with my older unit, I
had the router closer to the corridor. In this case, while his signal
strength is low, he gets an adequate signal to give him a speed above
Comcast's 6Mbps, so he is happy. We'll move his router in time.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group