Video capture and dvd burning for linux?

I know this doesn't answer the question as asked, but if you can
afford it I'd suggest you get a Hauppauge PVR-x50 PCI card and use the
ivtv driver.  These cards have hardware MPEG encoding.  You plug your
VCR into the card and from Linux you just cat /dev/video0 >
my-video.mpg.  From there a simple re-encode "fix" the mpeg stream and
add the DVD VOBU packets will give you a perfect DVD video -- I can
provide you the re-encode script if you want.

There's a USB PVR device but I don't think the ivtv project supports
it.

-derek