Disk Recovery Part III

christoph at linuxsoup.com
> If you do backups, a raid0 is also a great for things like your movie/mp3
> collection (MythTV storage).

At the risk of prolonging the death throes of a thrashed-to-death subject
thread:  I'm wondering why striping would be 'great' for any data like this.

Sure, you could take two 250Gb drives and create a 500Gb filesystem if that's
the amount of data you have.  But if you have that much data, what conceivable
scenario would prevent you from either (1) splitting the data into two
separate filesystems, or (2) shelling out the extra bucks to buy two 500Gb
drives (or three 350Gb ones) and running RAID1/RAID5?

Performance wouldn't be the issue in this case, unless you're using the movie
collection as a 'server farm' to run many multiple video streams.

If you're ever adding new material to the mp3/video collection, simply doing
backups isn't enough to eliminate the questions "should I stripe?  should I
mirror? should I just save money/time and ignore the problem?"

-rich