usb drive -- hotplug/automount

I have a question about hotplugging & USB and some differences I see
between 2 different FC3 systems (home & work).

Initially, I configured my drive at home.  I did NOT have the menu
item:

Preferences -> Removable Storage

set to "Mount removable drives when hot-plugged".  Without realizing
that this was an option, I used manual entries in fstab:

# usb drive
LABEL=usblinux          /mnt/usb/linux           auto defaults,user  0 0
/dev/sde2               /mnt/usb/windows         auto defaults,user  0 0
/dev/sde1               /mnt/usb/camera         auto defaults,user  0 0

This worked well & good.  I was happy to be able to mount the
partitions as a user.  Note that the linux partition has a label
"usblinux".

Then, I moved the drive to my work machine.

**** Work

I plugged the drive in and was surprised to find that both partitions
automatically mounted in /media:

/media/usbdisk
/media/usblinux

I also saw that entries were added to /etc/fstab, reflecting the mount
points and device names.

I recognized this as better action.

Returning home...

Plugging the drive in, I confirmed that nothing was happening in
/media.  I found the entry to automount the drive in:

Preferences -> Removable Storage

and enabled it.  I unplugged and plugged the drive, and it mounted
with this from df:

<snip>
/dev/sde1             72801276   1704196  67398920   3% /mnt/usb/camera
/dev/sde2              4176756        96   4176660   1% /mnt/usb/windows

This is not what I wanted.  It used my fstab entries, and it picked
the "camera" entry over the labeled entry.

OK, so I deleted the fstab entries & tried again.  This time nothing
mounted.

**** What I'd like to happen.

1.  Mount when plugged in.

2.  Don't specify the device -- after all, some other (new) usb device
    could disturb the device name.

How do I get there?

TIA,
Bill