Linux on Linksys WRT54GL

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 08:37:50AM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 1:43 am, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> > Anyone using a WRT54GL as a Linux firewall/router (i.e. replaced the
> > standard firmware with Linux)?  If so, how do you like it?  Are there
> > two wired ethernet ports or just wireless?  If there are wired ports, is
> > it possible to disable the wireless ports?
> >
> > Also, are there other low power (<$150) devices out there that can run
> > Linux and have 2 ethernet ports?
> >
> > Linux on Linksys WRT54GL
> > http://www.batbox.org/wrt54g-linux.html
> BTW: The standard WRT54G is available for $39.99 after rebates at Circuit
> City. Other than the fact this runs Linux,

Be VERY careful - the current (v5) version of the WRT54G runs VxWorks, not
Linux, and it's hardware has been reduced (flash and ram halved, I believe).
See here for instance:

  http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/22/the_great_linksys_wr.html

> what is the advantage of the
> WRT54GL over the vanilla WRT54G.

The WRT54GL is the new Linksys model aimed directly at firmware modders; It's
like the old WRT54G v4, but will be priced slightly higher...

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(    "a loveable, cuddly, stuffed penguin sitting down    )-
Virtual hosting -( after having gorged itself on herring." -- Linus about  )-