cheap old laptop

> On Friday 06 January 2006 11:22 am, Laura Conrad wrote:
> > My ancient windows laptop seems to have finally given up the ghost.
> > This leaves me with only one working computer, with only LINUX
> > installed.
 ...........  background info deleted

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:31:25AM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> How about a Linux laptop running Crossover Office.

Hi Laura,

Jerry is right - You can use IE on your Linux system by running it under
CrossOver Office, or VMware or Wine.   These tools allow you to
run (some) Windows programs right on your Linux box.  This has the
advantage of reducing the number of computers you have to accommodate/
manage and the disadvantage of (perhaps) not being a 100% true Windows
environment.  But that is probably not an issue for using IE to test a
website.

Cost-wise, I think Crossover Office, (CO), is the least expensive,.
(I'm sure someone on the list has some specific numbers or bargain
locations on this ?  )

WINE is free but is not very user friendly.

CO is based in WINE but includes better/easier support and configuration.

Cheap laptops,... ? hmm - can you define cheap for us please?

I think there are new OEM laptops available for around $500-$600
but these are all low end machines.  Low end may be a misnomer given
how extremely powerful PC's have become.  To go cheaper than that I
think you need to look for used systems:

	Ebay
	Google Base
	cragslist

	Or your local freecycle list sometimes has free laptops.

speech recognition software may have been used to create this e-mail.

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Brandeis

To think contrary to one's era is heroism. But to speak against it is
madness. -- Eugene Ionesco