OpenOffice 2.0.1 vs MS Office

At 09:56 AM 1/10/2006, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Bob BLU wrote:
>
>> You might consider setting the default file format to be MS instead of
>> OOo/ODF.  I made a mini-how-to I can share...

This from OOo1, consider it a starting point.  Plain text version below:

----

Making OpenOffice compatible with Microsoft Office

After you have installed OpenOffice, follow these instructions to change the default file format to be Microsoft Office compatible.

 From the Start button open the Spreadsheet program as follows:

        Start -> Programs -> OpenOffice.org -> Spreadsheet

In the Spreadsheet program, open the Options windows as follows:

        Tools -> Options...

In the Options window, open the Load/Save - General section as follows:

        Load/Save -> General

In the Load/Save - General section, find the Standard File Format area.
In the Standard File Format area, find the Document Type and Always Save As fields.
For each item in the Document Type field, change the corresponding Always Save As item to be "Microsoft Word 97".

Next, still in the Options window, open the Load/Save )B? Microsoft Office section as follows:

        Load/Save -> Microsoft Office

Find the [S] column.
For each checkbox field in the [S] column, check the field.

Lastly, save the changes by clicking on the OK button.