socat experts?

Josh ChaitinPollak wrote:
> The problem with sredird and RFC 2217 is that it is TCP based, and I
> need to use UDP, at least for now.

I've used bidilink[1] for this kind of thing, and although it can talk
to ttys, STDIN/OUT, TCP, and Unix domain sockets - each as a client or
server - it doesn't support UDP unfortunately.

1. http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/bidilink/

I suspect it isn't likely that you'll find another tool that will
redirect a data stream over UDP, as most people wouldn't find an
unreliable transport to be useful. To make UDP reliable would require
layering a protocol on top of it, which then implies having both a
client and server that knows the particular protocol. Perhaps it is a
handshake failure at that level that is causing socat to abort.

> ...its a temporary solution anyway, until I can write my own application.

If you just want to blindly fire packets, you could probably implement
this in a dozen lines of Perl code.

If you can live with a one-way link, don't need to push much data
through it, and can tolerate some extra formatting thrown in with your
data, you could co-opt syslog's ability to send logging to a remote
system via UDP.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro