anyone running djbdns?

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 06:53:26PM -0500, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> I have an odd problem with djbdns.  A couple of common hosts (and I
> suspect others) don't resolve but nearly everything else works fine and
> has for years.  This problem has existed for years but I never took the
> time to fix it.  I want to fix it!
>
> e.g.
>
> These don't work:
>
> # host www.edmunds.com
> # host www.infiniti.com

These work fine for me (I use djbdns/dnscache).

Try this first

  dig www.edmunds.com @216.255.129.249
  dig www.edmunds.com @216.255.130.249

  dig www.inifiniti.com @129.33.82.4
  dig www.inifiniti.com @129.33.82.5

If that does not work, you can't talk to the respective nameservers for the
domain.

If so, maybe you have ECN (Explicit Congestion Notification) enabled in your
kernel? If those two hosts (or, actually, the nameserver(s)) for the domains
are on a network/device that chokes on ECN, you might find their nameserver
unreachable from your box.

  cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

Returns 0 if disabled, or 1 if it is enabled. If it's 1, try

  echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

and then try

  dig www.edmunds.com @216.255.129.249
  dig www.edmunds.com @216.255.130.249

  dig www.inifiniti.com @129.33.82.4
  dig www.inifiniti.com @129.33.82.5

to see if that fixed it...

Note that having ECN on is NOT wrong; in fact it's good for your network -
smarter congestion control. But sadly there are still broken routers/hosts
out there that can't cope with it...

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(   Economic advantage is not in and of itself a valid    )-
Virtual hosting -( purpose or justification for copyright or patent laws.  )-