Motherboard shopping

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> 1st, with a good volt meter, while the machine is running, make sure all
> the voltages are good. Sometimes people add cards and hard disks to
> systems and overload the power supply and push the voltage down to where
> the system sort of runs.

This is a good idea, though with an intermittent problem it probably
wont rule anything in or out as the cause. Making sure all the supply
voltages are within 10%, or preferably 5%, of their ratings is a good
check, but beyond that unless you know what your motherboard happens to
tolerate it may not mean much.

Similarly, you can buy power supply testers fairly cheaply these days
that will check the voltages under load, but without a load specifically
sized to test your supply (or matching the requirements of your
motherboard and peripherals), it'll only tell you whether the supply is
generally functioning OK.

You might want to try selectively adding and removing various high
current peripherals (drives, video card) and see what the voltages are
after powering up and letting things stabilize. If there's more than 5%
change in any of the voltages, you're probably hitting the limits of the
power supply.

If this is a home built system, it also might be a good idea to compare
the rated wattage of your supply's 12 volt output (not the wattage of
the entire supply) to the wattage requirements of your CPU. Many older
supplies have high wattage ratings, but inadequate current on the 12
volt line to run the latest CPUs. (Motherboards have on-board regulators
that draw on the 12 V line to generate the CPU supply voltage.)

> ...take out half the RAM. See if it still a
> problem. If it is not, replace the first half of the RAM with the half
> that was removed and see if the problem returns. If it does, one of those
> two ram sims/dims are the problem.

This is also a good tip, and particularly handy if you don't have
another system you can borrow some known working RAM from. I've used
this technique on a number of occasions.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA