printer pblms

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 3:59 pm, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> dan moylan wrote:
> > for christmas, my daughter gave me a copy of "linux user"
> > with an attached Suse 10 DVD, and  after living with red
> > hat from 5.2 to FC4, i thought i'd try it.  for the most
> > part i've been pleasantly surprised at the ease of
> > installation.  only two known issues remain: printer,
> > and sound, and i've put off the sound issues 'til later.
> >
> > re the printer, i invoked yast, which duely found my
> > attached printer -- hp920c at /dev/usb/lp0.  well, when
> > i try lp (or lpr) they don't seem to know about the
> > printer.  lpadmin didn't seem to help either.  this is
> > obviously a simple problem, but i'm stumbling.  a word
> > to the wise would be much appreciated.
>
> Does Suse use Cups or LPRng? (check to see what package owns
> /usr/bin/lp) I would assume CUPS.  I would check /etc/printcap and
> /etc/cups/printers.conf for oddities.
SuSE standardizes on CUPS.
The first thing you need to try is to first make sure that you run YOU to
get the latest updates to 10.0. Next, use YaST to configure the printer. I
have an HP PSC2210 connected through my wife's PC. When I upgraded to 10.0,
the printer stopped working. I deleted the old printer and created it anew
using YaST, and it came up beautifully. I have 5 printers configured on my
Linux system at work and each works well.

However, I have also used CUPS directly (localhost:631) to configure the
printers. I do this with my Linux class at NEU because I prefer not to
standardize on a specific distribution.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group