Information security, recycling and irony

For the record, anything that is thrown away (recycled or not) is unsecured.
I worked for a bank data processing center a number of years ago, and some
of the trash was bagged and saved in a vault. The reason for saving of the
trash was that a check or other financial information may have ended up in
the trash. How long it was retained and what its final disposition was, I
don't recall.
A few years ago, we ported a major software product to our platform. Our
contract stipulated that the software development and build systems be
maintained on a private network not physically connected to the corporate
net or Internet. An additional stipulation was that any printouts be
shredded. At that time, we had locked bins for confidential material to be
disposed of, but our management felt that eventhough these bins are emptied
by a contractor who does bulk shredding, that it would be a violation of
our contract if we disposed of the documents that way, so we had to shred
them ourselves.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group