Are there *any* good high-end Linux-friendly PDAs out there?

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 07:46:43PM -0500, David Kramer wrote:
> So what's left?  Or is the above an overly harsh view of the market?

I just got a Nokia 770.

> My must-have needs are:
> - Good PDA (PIM) software.

Haven't tried them, but there are 2 stable ports: DejaPIM and GPE PIM suite.

This is the application catalog:
  http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog
The work-in-progress catalog:
  http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalogWip
The wishlist catalog:
  http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalogWishlist

> - Capable of doing some kind of word processing with outlining,
> justifying, etc.

Abiword has been ported.

> - Spreadsheet

A port of Gnumeric is underway.

> - Big enough screen to make the previous two feasible

800x480 sufficient?

> - Built-in or external mini keyboard

I got a nokia bluetooth keyboard to go with it.

> - ssh2

Dropbear and openssh have been ported.

> - Some kind of encrypted password database, preferrably one that can
> sync with something on the desktop

'Password safe' is on the work-in-progress porting page.

> - WiFi and/or BlueTooth

Yep, both.

> - Plentiful and expandable storage

RS/MMC expansion; just get a (couple of) 1GB card(s).

> - IM would be nice

Gaim has been ported.

> - Email (IMAP) would be nice

Comes with a (crappy) e-mail client;

> - Database would be nice.

SQLite would be the obvious choice; it is mentioned on the porting wishlist
page, but nobody seems to have ported it yet.

> And of course it must sync with something useful under Linux in less
> than nine steps with no voodoo dolls or dead chicken waving.

I need to play around with things, but since it runs openssh and rsync, I
don't see how this could be a problem :)

> I am perfectly willing to pay serious money to get it if I feel it will
> do the job and do it for a while.

About $380 (including tax) will get you one delivered to your door :)

> Oh, and what is the current state of syncing Palm with Linux? What are
> the options (I prefer SuSE/KDE if that matters)

I have no idea. I gave up on Palm way back in the '90s.

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(     "The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of      )-
Virtual hosting -(    danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes,     )-