Mail/Webmail solution for multiple domains on a Debian server

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:14:49PM +0200, Roger Day wrote:
> > How many, and what sort of load?
>
> About 8 domains and a total of about 100 users right now and not
> likely to grow dramatically.  (some of these are family and personal
> email accounts....)

OK, so "tiny".

> > There are good mailing lists to provide support for all these
> > packages, and probably local contractors available with
> > experience in most of them.
>
> Could you point me towards some of these resources please.  My
> research up till now has revealed little in terms of 'documentation'
> around such 'projects'.  Everything seems quite home grown and
> partially completed.

First: pick an MTA:

www.postfix.org
www.exim.org
www.qmail.org

For the sake of argument, we'll say you picked Postfix.

Now pick an IMAP server:

www.bincimap.org
www.courier-mta.org
www.dovecot.org

Let's say you pick dovecot.

www.spamassassin.org
www.clamav.net

Since you're running Debian, you can say:

# apt-get install postfix dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d spamassassin spamc clamav
# apt-get install imp3
or
# apt-get install imp4

And all of these will be installed. All you have to do is
configure them correctly.

You should read the Postfix FAQs: www.postfix.org/docs/
and the docs for each package at their home page. Consider each
package in relation to the package that provides services it
depends on. Ask for help on their mailing lists.

-dsr-

--
What's the best thing you could be doing right now? Why aren't you?