LinuxBIOS

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:54:57PM -0500, Rajiv Aaron Manglani wrote:
> a company i used to work for did a bit of work with linuxbios and
> even shipped a few clusters with it. the blade servers did boot in
> under 5 seconds. we found that tyan had the most supported
> motherboards, probably because they actually have or had someone
> working full time on linuxbios.

Yes, they did have someone, and that person now works at AMD, still doing
pretty much the same job. Tyan boards are still very well supported.

> however, it was always a huge effort
> to port linuxbios to new boards, or update the bios on existing
> boards. unless you are working on large clusters, we found that
> linuxbios was not worth the trouble in a production environment.

Depends... You could choose your hardware based on LinuxBIOS support. With
the rate that prorietary DRM is progressing (EFI, anyone?), I think we'll see
much more of that in the future.

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(  "Just wait,  My crystal ball is infallible." -- Linus  )-
Virtual hosting -( Torvalds, discussing the future of smart I/O hardware.  )-