New boot drive for FC_

jbk wrote:
> I am in the process of upgrading my home server/workstation. I have
> upgraded the MB and processor to a semperon 2800 and am now upgrading
> the primary disc from 8 g to 80 g. I want to dual boot between FC_
> 4.i686 and i86_64. I have successfully upgraded from FC3 to FC4 in the
> past but understand that it not possible to upgrade to 64 bit from 32. I
> don't want to lose all the customizations but want to experiment with
> the new 64 bit arch. Have others done this? I typically do not create a
> seperate "home" partition and was not going to do so this time unless
> there is an advantage to sharing across architectures. I will have to
> duplicate samba across the two architectures so that file sharing on the
> network can remain active.

following up on my earlier post:
I installed FC5_64 test 2 on a separate partition and dual
boot between it and 32bit FC4. Samba has been copied over
and users duplicated. File sharing works as before across
the network. I am having trouble getting ssh working but
that may be due to not having the same hosts file.

I have used yum to update the kernel and xorg to what would
be the equivelant of test3, but not all of the installed
packages.

There was some buggy behavior in test2. Emacs could not find
its standard fonts, that was the reason for updating xorg,
which worked.

I am still trying to get thunderbird to use the folders
directory that I set up on a separate data partition under
the 32bit arch.

till next
	Jim Kelly-Rand