Suggestions on notebook

Hello,

I need to purchase a laptop replacement in the near future. Initially, I was
considering a used IBM thinkpad T42 but for the same price I could get a new
nicely equipped HP Pavilion dv5000 with the Turion 64 Mobile Processor. I
would like to install dual-boot Debian ? WinXP. I like the fact that the HP
is 64 bit so that I can migrate in the future. I like the fact that both HP
and IBM supports Linux. I also like the fact that AMD has made a commitment
to Linux and LinuxBIOS. I am willing to wait a year or so for all the
components of the new HP to be configured properly for Linux. I am leaning
in favor of the HP.  Are there any big disadvantages that won't be worked
out by tweaks to the software or configuration?  Also, It has the option a
selecting either an ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M or NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400. I was
thinking about selecting the ATI.  I would welcome any suggestions about
choosing the new HP with the AMD Turion 64 Mobile for it primary use as a
Debian workstation.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jay