Suggestions on notebook

> On 3/4/06, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:
>         > considering a used IBM thinkpad T42
>         I'm typing this on a used T42p, quite happy with Gentoo as it
>         came

I'm also typing this on a T42p and I'd like to provide a data point with
regards to ATI Xorg video drivers:

 + this machine has an ATI M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]
 + its running Fedora Core 4
 + the livna-provided fglrx kernel modules:
   + are an RPM-repackaged version of the ATI binary-only
       drivers
   + are *very* *easy* to install:
        "yum install kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.15-1.1833_FC4"
   + they work nicely with ACPI S3 (suspend-to-RAM) sleep
        which I use 2-3+ times per day (and I routinely
        have 30+ day uptimes)

so while I'm a lot less than thrilled about the binary-only nature of
the modules I can say that they work quite nicely for all my needs.

And, AFAICT, everything else about this laptop works nicely with Linux.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307