Suggestions on notebook

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 10:19 -0500, jbk wrote:
> Have you tried swsusp2 for hibernation. I have been useing
> Mathias Henslers kernel binaries with swsusp2 compiled in.
> It takes some minimal initial configuration that he provides
> good documentation for. A restart to where you were takes
> less than 30 seconds, maybe faster. I haven't attempted to
> set it for lid close yet, but with an old battery I would
> prefer hibernate to suspend to ram.

Hi Jim,

Yes, I used the mhensler kernels when I was running FC3 and they worked
nicely.

When I upgraded to 2GB RAM and FC4 (at about the same time), I started
having sporadic problems.  The swsusp2 bits would occasionally fail to
resume.  Since ACPI S3 is much quicker than swsusp2, requires no extra
kernel bits, and provides about a week of S3 sleep (starting with a full
battery), I have almost no desire for it.

Also, since swsusp2 is (unfortunately) not making much progress getting
included into the mainline kernel and since a number of folks are trying
to improve the existing in-kernel software suspend, I intend to give it
(the mainline one) a try soon.  But having a good ACPI S3 really does
take care of 95% of my desire for suspend features.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307