x86_64

>> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:15:56 -0500, blu at scrunch.net (Bob BLU) said:

   > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=404&num=2

   >> One of the areas improved with Fedora Core 5 thanks to GNOME
   >> v2.13/2.14 is speed Improvements throughout the desktop. The font
   >> rendering has been improved as well as a new memory allocater
   >> dubbed GSlice in GNOME v2.14,

http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-14/ has more details on the
optimisations.  I found the first chart pretty amusing, though
I'm sure I don't know the whole story:

   GMemChunk:  26s
   Malloc:      4s
   GSlice:      2s

So, on first glance that's a massive win -- the allocator's been made
thirteen times faster!  On the other hand, it raises the question of
why they wrote *and then used* an allocator without noticing that was
over six times slower than *malloc*.  :)

"James Kramer" <kramerjm at gmail.com> wrote:
   > OO is still a bit sluggish to load.

At least on Ubuntu, the version of OO installed on the 64-bit
distribution is the 32-bit binary using 32-bit compatibility
libraries, so it makes sense that it might be sluggish compared
to native 32-bit.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk>    <http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~cjb/>