x86_64

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Sunday 05 March 2006 4:35 pm, Chris Ball wrote:
>
>>At least on Ubuntu, the version of OO installed on the 64-bit
>>distribution is the 32-bit binary using 32-bit compatibility
>>libraries, so it makes sense that it might be sluggish compared
>>to native 32-bit.
>
> One of the nice things about the x86-64 architecture is that it does support
> the 32-bit architecture in hardware.

So, a few years ago I was really impressed with how much
faster the dec alpas were. Now it seems that the 32bit wafer
technology has caught up and the difference is now only
maybe 10%. It would seem to me that this is not enough of a
difference to drive a switch to 64bit arch, other than the
previously stated fact that there will be no more 32bit
chips from the big two after this year. The software writers
  have no motivation to convert to 64 bit rapidly, they will
eventually but not as a need but just as a function of the
experience of the programmers that succeed those coding now.

Jim