Linux onto an older laptop

Sam Korb wrote:
> Hello-
>
>     My friend from Brown University was helping me load Ubuntu onto an
> older laptop that we got second-hand (Dell Inspiron 7500), and we ran
> into some trouble.  He had some positive experience with the Brown Linux
> User Group, so he suggested I seek you guys out and see if you could
> offer any assistance.
>
>     Basically, the laptop has two batteries instead of a CD drive or
> floppy drive.  My friend said that this would necessitate a network
> install.  Is this something feasible?  If so, would your group be able
> to offer any help?

It sounds like your main issue is the lack of a cdrom drive or floppy
drive. The first thing I'd try is to see if the machine can boot from a
usb cdrom drive. If that doesn't work, maybe someone could loan you a
Dell cdrom module long enough to install the OS, assuming they have one
that works with the 7500. Logistically, it would make sense to do that
at one of our Installfests.

You can join our group's discussion list to get a wider range of advice;
also, we're holding our next Installfest on May 20, where you can get
hands-on help.

You can subscribe to our discussion list at