keyboard problem

Laura Conrad wrote:
> On my shiny new Thinkpad laptop, the numlock key doesn't seem to work
> under linux.   There isn't a separate numeric keypad, but numlock is
> supposed to turn some of the letters into numbers so that you can
> enter numbers the way you do with a keypad.  Instead, the letters do
> stop entering letters, but they don't seem to start entering numbers.
> (also the numlock led doesn't seem to work).

Try this.

Put the keyboard in caps lock so you are typing all CAPS THEN HOLD THE
SHIFT KEY AND PRESS NUMLOCK THEN WHILE HOLDING THE SHIFT KEY DOWN TYPE
THE SPECIAL NUMBERED KEYS WHICH ARE (JKL, UIO, 789), ON MY T23 .
1234567890 This is a little inconvenient, since you probably don't want
to have both hands on the same keyboard, but that is as far as I have
gotten on my own. Try it and let me know if you get the same behavior.
Also, when the numlock key is engaged the special numbered keys exhibit
a strange behavior when the shift key is not depressed, causing the
cursor to jump around and not type any characters.

Oh, I just reread your post and see that you were almost this far
already as you described the strange behavior. Well do try holding the
shift key and see if you at least get the numbers to type.

till next
Jim