i18n --> glibc

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:17:34 -0500, Robert La Ferla
<robertlaferla at comcast.net> wrote:

> Nicholas Bodley wrote:
>>
>>  I know that glibc is quite important, likely one of the most-important
>> and basic libraries; however, I'd welcome a brief comment (or a link to
>> go to) about what it does, if that's not a big challenge!  TIA...
>
> GNU libc
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/

Quote from that page:
"It is also internationalized and has one of the most complete
internationalization interfaces known."

Golly! My query must have looked so much like that of a newbie. :)  I
understand, now, and quite well, what glibc is, and appreciate the
courtesy of Robert's simple enlightening link. I'm a curious duck; more
like a hybrid between graybeard (I have one) and a newbie. Was a midnight
hacker in 1960, used CP/M some, yet am *still* learning some basic
essentials, such as what glibc is!
{Chuckling to self...}

> BTW - One of the most powerful features of Mac OS X (and it's ancestor
> NextStep) is the NSText class (and related classes) in the
> ApplicationKit API.
[...]

> It was a monster to program [...]

I can understand that well, although only because I've studied about such
topics; never done any of it. Seems somewhat unfortunate to reinvent the
wheel, but doing so probably has some positive aspects.

> NSText
> http://www.toodarkpark.org/computers/objc/AppKit/Classes/NSText.html

Trivia: Up until now, I haven't been active on any developer-oriented
lists, and have felt somewhat silly using a [newline] as a delimiter. No
longer! I still use [ ] and { } in ad hoc ways that might look quite
peculiar...

Thanks kindly, and best regards!

--
Nicholas Bodley  /*|*\ Waltham, Mass.
Once fluent in FLP-80 DOS (Mostek Z80 development)