i18n

Matej Cepl wrote:
| Robert La Ferla wrote:
| > BTW - One of the most powerful features of Mac OS X (and it's ancestor
| > NextStep) is the NSText class (and related classes) in the
| > ApplicationKit API.  The NSText class is what makes OS X applications
|
| You mean like QString <http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/qstring.html> in Qt? :-)

Lessee; the description starts with:

   QString stores a string of 16-bit QChars, where each QChar  stores
   one Unicode 4.0 character.

In other words, they admit right up front that  they  don't  actually
quite implement full Unicode.  ;-)

Why would one  even  bother  doing  an  implementation  that  doesn't
support  31-bit Unicode?  How much harder would it be?  This isn't so
much a criticism as a  puzzled  question.   Considering  the  growing
importance of China and Chinese in the world's economy, why would you
write a package that can almost but not quite do the whole thing?

(Actually, I'm looking forward to the inclusion of Mayan writing into
the  growing  Unicode system.  It'll be fun to watch the Mayanists do
the fonts and the code to combine the symbols into proer words. It'll
topple Arabic from the top "typographer's nightmare" position.  ;-)

--
   _,
   O   John Chambers