keyboard problem

>>>>> "j" == jbk  <jbk at mail2.gis.net> writes:

    j> Well it seems from my googling that keymapping is a very specialized
    j> endeavor. It appears that to some extend the mappings are dependent on
    j> how diverse the kernel developers wanted to make the special mapping
    j> recognition. So what you want wasn't wanted by enough of us to make it
    j> worth their while. I imagine that if you could find out how to get the
    j> key code for the mappings and offsets for your thinkpad that you might
    j> be able to edit the Xmodmap to get the desired functionality.  I'm
    j> curious but not devoted.

I investigated some more, and it turns out that the keypad works from
the console (outside of X).  So that gives me a reasonable workaround.

I've also posed the question on the Ubuntu users list to see if anyone
wants to figure it out there.  Writing an xmodmap.us-thinkpad-r50e
doesn't seem like what I want to spend my time doing, either.  But
it's the kind of thing someone has to do if they want to claim that
linux is ready for the corporate desktop.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011